am a huge fan of spaghetti squash. Being gluten free can be so frustrating because if by chance you find a gluten free pasta that you like, you have to worry about all of those added carbs and calories. Spaghetti squash is loaded with vitamins and is so incredibly satisfying when you are craving pasta!
This is one of my favorite weeknight meals. If you prep the squash, ground turkey and the marinara in advance it takes about 5 minutes! I prep a big batch of each and they all freeze well. You can also use no sugar added jarred sauce and cook your squash in thr microwave, but it won’t have that roasted flavor and it will have a bit more liquid.
Ok, so seriously this feels like a naughty treat. Loaded with yummy cheese and sauce it’s just too good. The awesome thing about this recipe is the sneaky trick that I use to make it feel more indulgent but use less calories. 😁
What You Will Need
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 cups prepared marinara (approximate)
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 slightly heaping Tbsp. Lowfat Allouette spreadable garlic and herb cheese (my secret weapon to make them really delicious aaand less calories than ricotta) or 1 cup part skim ricotta
- 1.5 cups cooked ground turkey or I use Jenny O Italian seasoned ground turkey
- Parmesan for garnish
Here is the short and quick version:
You can use already prepared squash
Quick Microwave Cooking Method:
- Pierce spaghetti squash with a fork multiple times
- place in microwave safe dish and cook in microwave 5 minutes or until fairly tender
- Let cool to touch, cut into 2 halves, clean out string and seeds and shred strands with a fork. Leave in shell.
Oven roasting method: (my fave)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Microwave squash a few minutes to soften skin
- Cut squash lengthwise stopping at stem. Slice stem off, then finish cutting through squash
- Take out strings and seeds(don’t forget to roast your seeds!😋)
- Line a cookie sheet or roasting pan with foil Spray with olive oil spray and spray each half with spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder if you choose.
- Place on sheet face down and cook for about 25 minutes or until tender.
- Once cooled use a fork and shred the spaghetti strands.
Putting it all together:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Take the marinara and add the cooked ground turkey.
- Take each half of spaghetti squash and lay side by side on a baking dish. Top each with the cheese of your choice evenly divided and mix thoroughly into the spaghetti squash.
- Top each with the marinara mixture.
- Top with mozzarella
- Place in oven and cook until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Depending on your oven, if they brown too fast turn ther oven down and move squash further from the top of the oven.
Please don’t forget to pin and share the recipe and let me know how you like it!❤