I love summer with all of the fresh ingredients out there! Zucchini is one of my absolute favorites because you can make so many things with it.
These make a great dinner because they are nice and filling and are great for anyone that has to be gluten-free like me or practicing a keto or low carb lifestyle. I make these with a side of gluten-free Spanish rice or cauliflower rice for the family and they are good to go!
Chicken Fajita Zucchini Boats
- 4 large zucchini roughly the same size
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell peppers chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small chunks
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder plus more for seasoning zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. Fajita or taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Green onion
- Preheat oven to 425
- Scoop out and leave a 1/4 inch of flesh on the zucchini boat. Put flesh into a bowl set aside.
- Put Zucchini on cookie sheet. Spray top and bottoms of zucchini with olive oil spray and salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Roast in oven approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until mostly tender.
- While zucchini is cooking in the oven, add the olive oil and cubed chicken to a nonstick skillet and cook on medium-high heat until done.
- Remove chicken and add peppers and onions along with about 1 cup of zucchini flesh to skillet. Cook until peppers have softened and onions are translucent on medium heat.
- Add chicken back to skillet and add fajita/ taco seasoning, 2 tsp. Garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste with about 1/4 cup of water and saute on low a few minutes to combine ingredients and let water cook mostly out.
- Remove zucchini from oven and fill each half with chicken/pepper mixture. Top each boat with 1 to 2 Tbsp. of cheese. All depends on how cheesy you like them. I like mine cheesy if I am not using any guac. or yogurt. 😁
- Bake in the oven to melt cheese and brown a bit.
21 Day Fix Equivalents
- 1 1/4 green, 3/4 red, 1/2 to 1 blue depending on cheese/ guac.
- 1/4 purple if you add salsa
- Add 1/4 red if you add plain Greek yogurt to top