Being Gluten Free can be tough and most Gluten Free flours are made with tapioca or other high carb alternatives to basic flour which makes it hard to have a healthier version of anything breaded. I used to use whole wheat flour all the time before I had to go Gluten Free, but I have to say this tastes so much better!! I would take it over regular flour any day! My husband and family absolutely love them too so that’s definitely a win!
Almond Flour Crusted Low Carb Fried Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Lemon garlic seasoning if you don’t have any use 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder and approximately a tsp. or 2 of lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- Olive or coconut oil spray
- Parchment lined cookie sheet
- A few tbsp. Of water
- Plastic wrap and a meat mallet for pounding chicken breasts
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- The easiest way they I have found to do these are to set up a station. Grab 2 decent sized bowls big enough to coat big chicken breasts because they will be big once they are pounded thin. Take your eggs and scramble them in one bowl and add a little water or milk to get them really scrambled nicely (if using lemon zest mix that into the egg also).
- Next, lay out a piece of plastic wrap double the size of your chicken breast. Line it all up – plastic wrap, egg bowl, breading bowl then cookie sheet lined in parchment.
- Take out each breast, one at a time, lay them on the plastic wrap and add another piece of plastic wrap on top so that there isn’t chicken flying everywhere. Although it makes a fantastic mess lol.
- Pound each breast until they are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Then dip in egg and finally almond flour mixture. When adding to almond flour, pat down the coating all around the breast so that it’s coated well. Next, add to cookie sheet and spray with olive oil spray. The spray will allow it to get a nice crust. When all breasts are coated and sprayed place in oven uncovered.
- Cook about 15 minutes or until they are getting pretty golden then take out, flip and spray the other side.
- Cook another 15 minutes or until nice and golden and chicken is 165 degrees!
In your second bowl add all of your seasonings and the almond flour and stir with a fork or whisk until combined.
These are great for chicken piccata, chicken parmesan, even chicken salads!